About Our Buick GMC Dealership In Springfield, MO
In 1919, George M. Thompson, Sr. was discharged as a Captain in the U.S. Arms Quartermaster Corps, and he returned to Springfield with his bride Wilma to enter into business with his father, George W. Thompson. It has been said that he was the first person in his trade to use our newfangled automobile to service his customers.
- Mon - Fri8:30 AM - 7:00 PM
- Sat8:30 AM - 6:00 PM
- Mon - Fri7:30 PM - 6:00 PM
- Sat8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
- Mon - Fri8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Sat9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- Mon - Fri7:30 AM - 6:00 PM
- Sat8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Mon - Fri8:00 AM - 5:30 PM
- Sat8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Mon - Fri7:30 AM - 5:30 PM
- Sat - SunClosed
Soon, George M. saw the need for other business to help feed their two families. George M. and George W. obtained a franchise for Racine Tires and opened Thompson-Racine Tire Co. at 417 St. Louis Street on July 1, 1919. This started a lasting association with Springfield and the Ozarks. Because the Racine "Country Road" Tire was guaranteed for an unheard-of 6,000 miles, they selected # 6000 for their phone number.
In 1923, the Racine Tire Co. merged with Ajax Tire Co., and the company name was changed to Thompson Tire Co. Along with the name change also came a new location. The business moved across the street to 423 St. Louis Street. Four years later in July 1927, Ajax merged with McClaren Rubber Co., and the Thompson's started selling McClaren tires. Even more important, Thompson Tire Co. obtained the retail franchise for Cadillac -- the automobile known as The Standard of the World.
As 1928 rolled around, the need for additional room became more and more obvious. So, Thompson's moved to a building at 300 Kimbrough St. and leased it to the Thompson's. With this new facility, the Thompson's were able to provide the first "drive-in/drive-out service" in Springfield.
The depression years soon followed, and it took a lot to keep the company going. In 1932, Thompson Tire Co. made the difficult decision to take on one more automobile franchise -- Pontiac (which had been purchased by General Motors from Oakland Carriage Co. only six years earlier). The organization now consisted of the tire business plus two automobile franchises.
In 1936, the last change in tire brand names was made when Dayton Rubber Co. bought McClaren. With this change, Thompson Tire Co. officially changed its name to Thompson Sales Company. The company eventually sold Covered Wagon house trailers, White trucks, Century boats, and James Motorcycles (English Paratrooper Bikes).
In June of 1955, Thompson once again moved into a brand new location at 727 East St. Louis Street. This new location was designed solely to sell and service new automobiles. Even though the move was less than a few blocks away, the new facility was a vast improvement over the Kimbrough location.
Between the years of 1956 to 1984, Thompson Sales saw few changes. In 1972 though, the founder, George Thompson, Sr. passed away. It is a well-known fact that time changes most businesses as well as most people's thinking. It was only a short time later that it was thought necessary to leave the tire business behind and concentrate on selling and servicing the two fine General Motors cars for which we had been so privileged to have franchises.
Also, at this time, George Thompson, Sr., George Thompson, Jr. and Milton Thompson were listed on the selling agreements with General Motors as Dealer Principles. Time has now changed this situation, but this has not deterred the growth of our organization in spite of increased competition.
The Thompson's realized the need for growth again, and in 1984 the Service Department, the Parts Department, and the Sales Showroom were expanded with a major renovation increasing the existing building by over 100%.
In 1987, Thompson's opened a second satellite sales location in South Springfield. Car sales continued to increase yearly due in a large part to our commitment to customer satisfaction.
The death of George Thompson, Jr. in January 1991 spurred more changes by the Thompson's. Milton B. Thompson (Uncle Milt) was promoted to Chairman of the Board, Lynn Thompson was appointed President, and George Thompson III was appointed Vice President. As anyone familiar with the organization knows, George and Lynn operate on a level basis and their titles are strictly on paper only.
On July 1, 1996, Thompson purchased the GMC Truck franchise for the Springfield area and in 1997 added the GMC light - duty commercial truck line. Together the three franchises enable Thompson Pontiac-GMC-Cadillac to assist customers with all of their automotive needs.
The start of the 21st Century marks another milestone for Thompson's with a move to their newly constructed 78,620 square foot facility in southeast Springfield. All departments of the full-service dealership are housed under one roof at 1555 East Independence Street.
Thompson Buick GMC
Also, the Thompson's added the SAAB franchise, a division of General Motors to their family in June of 2003. As customers needs change, Thompson's tries to keep ahead of the curve and added a Quicklube center for maintenance items such as oil changes, tires and filters in November of 2003. Then to complete the lineup, on February 1st of 2006 Thompson's added the Buick franchise to their company and are located at the state-of-the-art facility on Independence in Springfield.